The project returns the front of the theater to its 1926 appearance and addressed structural concerns.
The Colonial’s Theater’s facade restoration included reconstructing the formerly leaning parapet, masonry repair and repointing, new flashing, and exterior painting. The exterior painting required paint sampling and analysis by Sutherland Conservation & Consulting of Augusta to accurately recreate the six-color tapestry paint scheme.
Hascall & Hall, a Portland-based company with experience in historic renovations did the reconstruction work.
Support for this project included:
- Maine Historic Preservation Commission, Certified Local Government Grant, $24,995
- Completed in cooperation with the City of Augusta, the grant administered by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior
- Morton-Kelly Charitable Trust, $10,000
- Davis Family Foundation, $15,000
- Belvedere Historic Preservation & Energy Efficiency Grant Program, Maine Community Foundation, $10,300
- Augusta Fuel Company (AFC) $25,000 (over five years)
- Cushnoc Brewing Company, $2,500